About Magnitogorsk

The city of Magnitogorsk is located in the south of the Chelyabinsk area, on east slope of Southern Ural. The population - 415022 persons. (the given 2002)
The peculiarity of Magnitogorsk is that is situated on two parts of the world - in Europe and Asia, on both sides of Ural river (before 1775 -Yaik).
Magnitka - is the largest metallurgical industry center in Russia. City rightfully carries the name "Steel Town", because the most part of left coast of Ural river is occupies by a giant of black metallurgy - Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Work.
The building and development of Magnitogorsk is connected with the development of iron ore of Magnitnaja Mountain, near which was built cossack fortress called Magnitnaja in 1743, - one of the supporting points on Orenburg's frontier line.
The official d. o. b. of the city is 30 June 1929 - the day of arrival at Magnitostroy fist train from stations Kartali. But status of city Magnitogorsk has gained in 1931.
Magnitogorsk has, created as a consequent frantic negations of the old world, it is classical example of the soviet socialist city-planning. The city, how write a singer of Magnitka B.Ruchiov: "without churches, without pubs, without prison" . The building of city began on the left coast of to the riverside Ural, where now situated nearly all-industrial works. Moreover, as it was said in the resolution of Sovnarkom, Magnitogorsk was built as a purely proletarian city, the city, wholly planned for the necessities of metallurgical plant, though for the architectural planning of Magnitogorsk was invited a well known German architect Ernst May, who was taking part reconstruction of Moscow at that time.
The city has played a big role during the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945). It is enough to say each second tank, each third projectile were made from the steel of Magnitka.
In 1945 began the building of the right coast by, basically capital houses, the part of which was built by German prisoners of war, prisoners of war from the - ally's Germany. The left and right pats of the city are bound up by four main bridges. Who worked in Magnitogorsk, during Perestroyka, American scientific Steven Kotkin has named Magnitogorsk the of "mausoleum of Stalin's" in its book "Steel Town". Really, the city is a unique architectural ideological sample of totalitarian. As an acropolis of Socialist State the city should save for descendants.
Years after Perestroyka, were signified by global change in the life of city. The Iron and Steel Work gains the status of the join-stock company "Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Work", which with 1997 successfully leads a general director V.Rashnikov. With the help of JSC "MISW" in the cite was reconstruction of runway and the building of airport. Near the city, on Bannoe lake is extended for the citizen, near Abzakovo station is built mountain skiing base of "MISW", which in 2000 s has been visited by the president of Russia V. Putin. In the city built the Ice-hockey Palace named after I. H. Romazan. Hockey team "Metallurg", has conquered many titles - the champion of Russia 1999, the European champion of hockey League in 1999, 2000 s and the winner of Europe's Supercup of 2000.
There are three establishments of high education they are Magnitogorsk State Technical University named in honor of G. Nosov (MSTU), Magnitogorsk State University (MaSU) and Magnitogorsk State Conservatory of music (MSC); there are three theatres, the olden of them is Drama named after A. S. Pushkin, the Opera and Ballet Theater and the Puppet theater "Buratino" ; the picture gallery, two house of music and the regional museum.

© 2003 — 2014 Магнитогорск